Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Sipping Tea

 Ever had one of those moments where a taste, smell or sound triggers a memory?

Today I was sipping some tea and it took me back to a few summers ago all the way on the other side of the globe.

I had the opportunity to spend the summer in Central Asia, with a wonderful local family assisting with English camps for the kids in the community.

Moments spent with my host family were probably the times I treasured the most. We spent lots of time together and we drank lots of tea together.


The weather was hot and the tea we drank was equally scalding. This was something I didn't quite get. Why drink something hot when the weather is so hot? Doesn't it just make you feel hotter and sweat more? In the end, it didn't really matter what I thought; drinking tea was customary so we drank tea after each meal no matter how hot it was or how much we sweated!


The more tea we drank the more I became accustomed to drinking a hot beverage on a hot day and the less I really cared about it. Sitting down for tea became less and less about the tea, although the tea was delicious, and more and more about taking time to share our lives with each other. How I cherish those moments.

It is way too easy to get caught up in life and forget all about how we are created to be relational beings. When we neglect to relate to one another we miss out on something great that we were all created for- relationship.

May we take time this week to stop and smell some roses, sip some tea and share with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment